The day after the bombing at the Boston Marathon, reporters are trying to piece together the information and understand what is happening. Learn how to say “cair a ficha” in English.
O dia depois do atentado na Maratona de Boston, repórteres estão tentando colher informação e entender o que está acontecendo. Aprenda a dizer “cair a ficha” em inglês.
[note class=”idea”]DICA: Clique no primeiro botão “Print/PDF” acima para gerar uma formatação mais simples para impressão.
FILL IN THE BLANKS (then see script with explanations below).
– Let me ask you, if I may, Pam, I mean obviously the area is __________ around at the scene of the explosions; but, to the best of your knowledge, is life _________ on pretty much _________as usual in Boston?
– I wouldn’t say it’s exactly _________as usual. I think people are a little bit in a state of _______ today. It’s certainly not the hustle and __________ that you would normally see here at Boston’s Back Bay, which is one of the most popular areas of Boston. There are people that are sort of __________ around; but, for the most part, the shops are _________ today. There really isn’t much business _________ on; and I think people are just trying to still __________ together what happened here today and really, you know, let it ________ _____ what a horrible tragedy just happened here in Boston.
[note class=”cd”]DOMINE PHRASAL VERBS DE UMA VEZ POR TODAS: http://loja.domineingles.com.br/phrasal-verbshttp://tileeba.webstorelw.com.br/t/ingles-avancado/phrasal-verbs/
SCRIPT WITH TRANSLATIONS AND EXPLANATIONS
Let me ask you, if I may, Pam, I mean obviously the area is cordoned around at the scene of the explosions; but, to the best of your knowledge, is life going on pretty much business as usual in Boston?
- let me ask you = deixe-me perguntar
- the area is cordoned around = a área foi isolada
- to the best of your knowledge = pelo que você sabe
- is life going on? = a vida continua
- pretty much = razoavelmente, quase
- business as usual = normalmente
I wouldn’t say it’s exactly business as usual. I think people are a little bit in a state of shock today. It’s certainly not the hustle and bustle that you would normally see here at Boston’s Back Bay, which is one of the most popular areas of Boston. There are people that are sort of milling around; but, for the most part, the shops are empty today. There really isn’t much business going on; and I think people are just trying to still piece together what happened here today and really, you know, let it sink in what a horrible tragedy just happened here in Boston.
i wouldn’t say = eu não diria
- a little bit = um pouco
- in a state of shock = em estado de choque
- hustle and bustle = correria, agitação
- sort of = mais ou menos, meio que
- mill around, phrasal verb = circular, perambular
- for the most part = na maioria
- most shops are are empty = a maioria das lojas está fechada
- there isn’t much business going on = não tem muito comércio ocorrendo
- people are still trying to piece together what happened = pessoas ainda estão tentando entender [“juntar as partes/peças”] o que aconteceu
- let it sink in = deixar “sink in” (ver significado abaixo)
[blocknote class=”red” title=”O que significa o phrasal verb ‘sink in'”] Como se diz “sink in” em português? Qual é a tradução de “sink in”? What does “sink in” mean? What is the meaning of “sink in”?
- sink in(someone or something) = “cair a ficha”, começar a entender o que aconteceu, começar a compreender o tamanho da tragédia, etc.
I heard what you said, but it took a while for it to sink in. Ouvi o que você disse, mas demorou para cair a ficha. (www.thefreedictionary.com)
Slowly the news sank in. Depois de ouvir as notícias, aos poucos começou a “cair a ficha”.
Nem sempre você traduzirá “sink in” com “cair a ficha”. Depende do contexto. Exemplo:
He paused a moment for his words to sink in. Ele deu uma pausa para que suas fossem compreendidas.
What started to sink in for you? Talk about it like this: It (slowly) started to sink in that _________________ .