Happy New Year!
What are your plans for this New Year? Are you going to take your English to the next level with us this year?
We here at Tim and Tammy Teach have several interesting projects in the works for this year? Read about them below (and learn the expression “in the works” while you’re at it.)
- take your English to the next level = levar o seu inglês para o próximo nível
- in the works = [Veja explicação desta expressão abaixo.]
- while you’re at it = ao mesmo tempo; enquanto estiver fazendo isto
Here are some of the projects we are working on right now:
1. Phrasal Verbs with the Letter P
Our next story in the Tim and Tammy Phrasal Verb Series is in the works. Soon we will be launching our 12th story – Phrasal Verbs with the Letter P.
- we will be launching = estaremos lançando [gerundismo é comum em inglês. ;)]
2. Gírias e Expressões dos Seriados – Volume III
We also have another very interesting project in the works. We are recording more than 200 sentences from Adir Ferreira’s latest e-book “GÍRIAS E EXPRESSÕES DOS SERIADOS – VOLUME III”. That is coming soon, also. I’ll tell you when it comes out.
- recording = gravando
- latest book = mais recente livro
- coming soon = em breve
- i’ll tell you = eu lhe direi
- when it comes out = quando sair
3. Domine Inglês Básico – Volume 2
We are also going to launch the second story of our Domine Inglês Básico Series.
4. Stay tuned!
There are other very interesting projects in the works right now, but I can’t tell you about them yet. 😉
- stay tuned = fique ligado
- i can’t tell you about them yet = eu não posso falar sobre eles ainda
[blocknote class=”red” title=”O que significa a expressão ‘in the works'”] Como se diz “in the works” em português? Qual é a tradução de “in the works”? What does “in the works” mean? What is the meaning of “in the works”?
- in the works = in the works = a caminho, sendo planejado, em andamento [usado para falar sobre projetos, etc.]
Examples from online dictionaries:
I’ve heard there’s a housing project in the works.
The agent said there was a movie deal in the works.
He assured her that a follow-up campaign was in the works.
They always have some wonderful new project in the works.
A musical version of the book is in the works.
He has a novel in the works.
There are some new laws in the works that will affect all of us.
I have some ideas in the works that you might be interested in.
E quando algo atrapalha os nossos planos, dizemos que aquele evento “put a (monkey) wrench in the works”.
- monkey wrench = chave inglesa
[blocknote class=”red” title=”O que significa a expressão ‘throw a monkey wrench in the works'”] Como se diz “throw a monkey wrench in the works” em português? Qual é a tradução de “throw a monkey wrench in the works”? What does “throw a monkey wrench in the works” mean? What is the meaning of “throw a monkey wrench in the works”?
- throw a (monkey) wrench in the works = transtornar os planos/projeto, estragar os planos/projeto, sabotar os planos/projeto
Lembre-se como conjugar o verbo “to throw” (jogar):
throw – threw – thrown
Examples from online dictionaries:
The funding for the project was withdrawn so that really threw a wrench in the works.
Half way through the theater production , the director found that the stage was smaller than he expected. This really threw a wrench in the works.
The boss threw a monkey wrench into our plans when he said we’d have to work Saturday.
The sudden withdrawal of the guest speaker really threw a monkey wrench in the works.
I hope nothing throws a monkey wrench in your plans to improve your English with us this year!
How about you? What do you have “in the works” right now? Please tell us about it below.