IN TODAY’S ISSUE: Halloween Controversy – Harvest and Halloween Customs – What We Are Working On – How To Make a Jack-O’-Lantern – Being A Christian Is Like Being A Pumpkin
What’s Halloween all about? [Do que se trata Halloween? (Depois você pode rever esta expressão aqui e aqui.)] Quais são as atividades da época? Por que muitos Americanos NÃO celebram esta data? , etc. É possível que você irá conhecer uma perspectiva deste assunto que nunca viu antes. Hope you like it!
Not everyone in the States will celebrate Halloween.
- not everyone = nem todos
Many Christians want nothing to do with Halloween because of its occult elements. There is also a question about its pagan origin. Also, some parents are concerned for their children’s safety during this time. Today in age, children are in some physical danger when they go trick-or-treating because they are walking around neighborhoods in the dark, accepting candy from strangers.
- concerned for = precupado(s) com
- safety = segurança
- today in age = hoje em dia
- go trick-or-treating = (ver abaixo)
- walk around = andando/passeando (sem rumo específico)
- neighborhoods = vizinhanças, bairros
- candy = doces
The frightening imagery surrounding Halloween is also a concern. In the past, Halloween was less frightening. It was mostly about dressing up in fun costumes, and children weren’t exposed to as much disturbing imagery as they are today. This is a tough issue for many parents as they often have very fond memories of trick-or-treating when they were children, but don’t feel comfortable taking their own kids out.
- frightening = assustador
- imagery = imagens, fantasias e imaginação
- surrounding = cercando
- concern = preocupação
- It was (mostly) about = Tinha como propósito (principal) (Veja a dica “What was that all about?”)
- dress up = vestir (em fantasia)
- costume = fantasia
- disturbing = inquietante
- tough issue = assunto difícil
- fond memories = memórias agradáveis
- take (kids) out = levar (crianças) para uma atividade planejada
In addition, modern horror movies have become a particularly sore point for concerned parents, as they are usually extremely violent.
- In addition = além disso
- sore point = um assunto sensível ou irritante
Many churches and communities ignore this holiday or they hold a Fall Festival or Harvest Fellowship at this time, primarily to provide an activity to help keep young people away from the dangerous aspects of Halloween.
- Fall Festival = Festival de Outono
- Harvest Fellowship = literalmente, “Comunhão de Colheita”
- keep (young people) away = afastar (jovens)
HARVEST AND HALLOWEEN CUSTOMS
Can you name the following Harvest and Halloween customs? What are these children doing?
WHAT WE ARE WORKING ON
We are now working on our next story – Phrasal Verbs that begin with the letter P. One of my students and I counted 65 Phrasal Verbs and 21 Expressions, not counting all the other every-day phrases and collocations, just in the first story (Phrasal Verbs with the Letter A). We didn’t have time to count the Phrasal Verbs and Expressions in the other stories yet. Can you imagine how many Phrasal Verbs and Expressions you will learn when we finish the series?!
- actually = na verdade
HOW TO MAKE A JACK-O’-LANTERN
1. Take a pumpkin.
- cut off = cortar e remover
- the top = a parte de cima
- scoop out = remover com colher, tipo colher de sorvete (“ice-cream scoop”)
- carve = esculpir
- doorstep = soleira (da porta)
BEING A CHRISTIAN IS LIKE BEING A PUMPKIN
A friend sent me this by e-mail…
Being a Christian is like being a pumpkin. God lifts you up, takes you in, and washes all the dirt off of you. He opens you up, touches you deep inside and scoops out all the yucky stuff — including the seeds of doubt, hate, greed, etc. Then He carves you a new smiling face and puts His light inside you to shine for all the world to see.
- lifts (you) up = (te) levanta
- take in = leva para dentro
- wash off = limpar (da superfície)
- deep inside = lá no fundo
- scoop out = (Essa você já aprendeu. 😉 )
- yucky stuff = coisas nojentas, sujas
- seeds = sementes
- doubt, hate, greed, etc. = dúvida, ódio, ganância, etc.
- shine = brilhar
Did you like the today’s post? Please say hello and leave a message below!